On this page you can find the classic and old-fashioned recipe for Danish Pork Stew which is in Danish known as Mørbradgryde. Mørbradgryde is the combination of the two Danish words Mørbrad and Gryde which translated means Pork tenderloin and Stew.
See also: Recipe for traditional Danish Hotdog
Danish pork stew is a very easy-to-make and super delicious stew made with bacon, mushrooms, cocktail wieners and of course pork tenderloin all served in creamy tomato and paprika sauce. Read below to learn how easy it is to make this fantastic Danish recipe.
Danish Pork Stew from the childhood
I remember this dish from my childhood and growing up with this dish. It was, and still is, one of my all time favorite Danish dishes - I guess it is a combination of the fact that it is super easy to make and that it is very tasteful.
It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare all the ingredients, the rest of the cooking time the stew is just taking care of itself. Most of the time it is just sitting on the stove by itself and working on bringing forward some delicious taste.
Classic recipe for Danish Pork Stew
The recipe is literally one of the easiest Danish recipes that you can find. The recipe can be divided into three main steps. Prepare and fry some of the ingredients, add the ingredients for the sauce and finally let it all simmer - simple.
Start by frying the diced onions and carrots, sliced mushrooms, bacon in bite-sizes and cocktail wieners for a couple of minutes. Add the pork tenderloin which has been cut in bite-sizes and fry for another 2 minutes. Add the spices, chopped tomatoes and heavy cream. Finally let it all simmer for 40 minutes - it is that simple to make this recipe for Danish Pork Stew. Serve directly in the pot together with rice.
Danish Pork Stew side dish
The traditional Danish Pork Stew is typically served with freshly boiled rice or mashed potatoes. Personally I prefer to serve my pork stew with brown rice as they contain more dietary fibers which are good for the body.
I normally make a large portion of this stew so that I have dinner for several days.
Danish Pork Stew (Mørbradgryde)
- 1 pork tenderloin (About 450 g / 1 lb)
- 150 g bacon strips
- 150 g mushrooms
- 150 g cocktail wieners
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 3 carrots (diced)
- 2.5 dl heavy cream
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- ground black pepper
- Cut the baon in smaller pieces, peel and finely chop the onions and the carrots. Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan, fry the prepared bacon, onions, carrots and mushrooms. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Cut the pork tenderloin in bite-size pieces and add them to the saucepan along with the cocktail weiners. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, heavy cream, paprika, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Let the stew simmer for 40 minutes while preparing some rice or mashed potatoes.
- Serve hot directly in the pot together with rice on the side.