This recipe for Danish butter cookies is another traditional and very popular Danish Christmas recipe. In Danish this cookie is called Vaniljekranse which directly translated means vanilla wreaths.
Read also: Recipe for Danish Butter Cake (Dagmar Tart)
A Vaniljekrans is basically a small round cookie with a crisp crust and a delicious taste of vanilla. We think that these Vaniljekranse is one of the best Christmas desserts/snacks that you can make in the weeks leading up to Christmas. As said, Vaniljekranse is a very traditional cookie and it goes way back, and we both remember having made these cookies with our moms when we were kids – shaping the small round cookies are just really fun, especially for kids.
See also: How to make a Danish Hotdog
The dough for these cookies is actually really easy to make. The recipe is based on simple ingredients which is mixed together into a soft and sticky dough. The dough is then extruded in strips and then formed into small round cookies. The extrusion process can be done using a piping bag with a star nozzle, which however require some muscle strength – this is the way we normally do it. However, if you own a meat grinder and have a star nozzle this will ease this process very much.
If you are interesting in other traditional Danish Christmas recipes you can take a look at our Christmas section.
- 1 vanilla bean
- 175 g sugar
- 200 g soft butter
- 1 egg
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 75 g almonds
- Use a food processor or a blender to ground the almonds into an almond flour.
- Open the vanilla bean and scrape out the vanilla seeds. I have made a simple guide how to do this - find it here on my blog.
- Mix sugar, vanilla seeds, the soft butter, all-purpose flour and the almond flour together in a bowl.
- Add the egg and mix it all together into a soggy and soft dough.
- Pour the dough into a piping bag and use the star nozzle.
- Extrude the dough into small circles with a diameter of about 4-5 cm (1.5-2 inch). If you have a meat grinder use the star attachment and extrude the dough into long strips. Cut the strips into smaller pieces and put them together in circles.
- Place the vanilla cookies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place them with a distance of 4 cm apart (1.5 inch).
- Bake the cookies at 200 C (400 F) for about 6 minutes or until they have a light-brown color.
- Let the cookies cool off on an oven grid. When cooled off, keep the cookies in a cookie jar.