Lemon curd is kind of dessert spreading or topping for your favorite food. Lemon curd is, as the name applies, normally made from citrus fruit like lemons, oranges and lime. However, it is also sometimes made from other fruit and different berries like straw- and raspberries.
In this recipe we have used lemons which gives a fresh and very delicious taste. The taste is a great balance between sweet and sour. Lemon curd has a consistency like soft butter which is why we sometimes call it lemon butter. Lemon curd is based on four simple ingredients; sugar, butter, eggs and a fresh lemon.
We have made this lemon curd in the microwave oven and it was super easy. It only took about 5 minutes to mix the ingredients together and then it was all microwaved for about 10 minutes on full power. However, depending on the quality of your microwave oven this time may vary a little. If you don’t have a microwave oven you can also heat the mixture in a small sauce pan.
Use the lemon curd as spread on bread or as a filling in some very delicious blueberry pies.
Microwave Lemon Curd
2 small jars
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
200 g (7 oz) sugar
100 g (3.5 oz) melted butter
2 dl (4/5 cup) lemon juice (3-4 lemons)
the peel from 2 organic lemons
1. In a microwave proof bowl; mix together eggs and sugar.
2. Add the lemon juice, lemon peel and melted butter to the bowl and mix it well.
3. Microwave the bowl at high power in 1 minutes-intervals. After each minute stir in the mixture. We microwaved our lemon curd for 11 minutes. However, depending on your microwave oven we believe this time can range from 8 to 14 minutes.
4. The curd is done when it sticks to the back of a tablespoon. The curd gets a lot thicker when it cool down.
5. While the curd is still hot and liquid; pour it through a strainer so that lumps and peel gets removed.
6. Clean some glass jars using boiling water. Pour the mixture into the jars and keep it refrigerated for up 2-3 weeks.