These rye buns with chocolate pieces are both healthy and very delicious at the same time. We personally love them as a little snack in-between two meals or as a healthy dessert for our lunch. In Denmark these buns are similar to the Chokorug which are sold at the very famous Lagkagehuset. Lagkagehuset is a Danish chain of bakeries which are selling traditional and modern bread and cakes. If you come to Denmark at some point you should definitely pay them a visit.
See also: Recipe for EASY healthy Nordic rye bread
The chocolate buns are filled with healthy grains and delicious dark chocolate - if you heat them up a little they become even better. The recipe is actually pretty easy to follow. However, it does require a bit of preparation. These buns are based on a sourdough, which gives the bread a great dense and chewy texture with a crisp crust. We have a basic recipe for a sourdough which is the one we always use - find it on our blog.
Danish Chocolate Rye Buns
- 400 g sourdough (find recipe on NordicFoodLiving.com)
- 4 dl cold water
- 150 g chopped/cracked rye grains
- 100 g sunflower seeds
- 100 g pumpkin seeds
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp malt syrup (may be omitted)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 250 g rye flour
- 200 g dark chocolate (70%) (or chocolate chips)
- 100 g almonds (for topping)
- Before you can start this recipe; make sure you have a good sour dough. You can follow my recipe I have here on NordicFoodLiving.com.
- In a bowl; mix the cold water with chopped rye grains, sunflower- and pumpkin seeds. Cover the bowl with a lid or a dish towel; Leave the bowl on the kitchen table for about 12-24 hours.
- Drain the soaked seeds/grains.
- Mix the soaked seeds/grains with the sourdough, salt, malt syrup (may be omitted), all-purpose flour, rye flour and cocoa powder. Mix all the ingredients into a nice dough.
- When all the ingredients, in step 3, are mixed well together; add the chopped dark chocolate / chocolate chips. Mix again. The dough should be firm but still sticky.
- Make 20-22 buns out of the dough and place them on a parchment-paper covered oven tray.
- You can decorate the buns with chopped almonds. However, this can be skipped.
- Cover the buns with a clean dish towel and let them raise someplace warm for about 1 hour.
- Bake the buns at 180 C (360 F) for about 20-25 minutes.