This is a recipe for a homemade marzipan where there has not been added any refined sugar. A traditional marzipan is made from two very simple ingredients; skinned almonds and sugar - super simple but also a bit unhealthy due to the amount of refined sugar. However, this is not an issue because marzipan is normally only used to make candy and cakes where sugar typically is not considered an issue.
Even though cakes and other treats normally contains lots of sugar - which is typically the idea with it - it can sometimes be interesting in making cakes which contains less or no sugar, flour, butter or similar. Unhealthy and alternative cake recipes can sometimes be nice to have.
If you have a recipe where you should use raw marzipan, and you are looking for a healthy alternative to the traditional marzipan, you can try using the recipe I have shown below.
Sugar Free Marzipan
The recipe for sugar free marzipan is super easy to make and it only requires two ingredients; skinned almonds and dates. The almonds are the foundation in all marzipan and the dates has a high content of natural sugar which gives the sweetness to the marzipan.
I personally always use this recipe when I am making the sugar and flourless Danish Tree Logs, which are traditional Danish cakes with marzipan wrapped around. You should differently check out this recipe if you do not know it - you can find it here on my blog in the cake section.
Recipe for marzipan without refined sugar
Making your own sugar free marzipan is super simple. You start by skinning the almonds using very hot water. I have a separate guide here on my blog how to skin almonds the easy way. The short instruction, how to skin the almonds is to let the almonds soak in very hot water for about 8-10 minutes and then remove the skin in-between two fingers. When you have prepared the almonds, pour them in a blender and blend them together with seedless dates for a couple of minutes. Form the sticky marzipan into a ball and let it rest in the fridge for about 15-30 minutes and it is ready.
Homemade Marzipan without refined Sugar
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Danish title: Hjemmelavet Marzipan uden sukker
100 g (3.5 oz) almonds
3 dates, stoneless (about 45 g or 1 2/3 oz)
1. In a small bowl; cover the almonds with boiling water. Set aside for about 7-10 minutes.
2. Using the tip of your finger to easily skin the almonds. This step should be easy. If it is difficult to remove the skin then cover the almonds with some new hot water and let then them soak for another 5 minutes.
3. Pour the skinned almonds into a food processor or blender. Run on high speed to turn the almonds into almonds flour.
4. Add the stone less dates and run until the almonds and dates are turned into a nice and slightly sticky marzipan. Depending on the freshness of the dates, you might also need to add a little water (about 1 tbsp) to better get the almonds and dates to mix into a nice Marzipan.
5. Cover the marzipan with plastic wrapping and keep it in the fridge until you need it.