Hamburgers are great and we eat a lot of them. A general misunderstanding is that hamburgers are unhealthy. This is not correct! Hamburgers can be super delicious and healthy at the same time. If you just remember to use meat with a low fat content and skip all the unhealthy bacon, cheese and all the greasy sauces. I personally love my burgers with a grilled patty, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado and some ketchup. I never use all the greasy stuff that only kills the fresh taste in the vegetables.
When I am in a hurry I buy my burger buns at my local supermarket. However, buns you get from the super market does not compare at all to my home made burger buns. The recipe for burger buns I have posted on this page is my personal favorite. The buns are perfectly soft and still they have a nice crust on the outside. The secret in this recipe is that you have the buns rest under a plastic bag and a kitchen towel before you bake them. This will make sure that you keep the moist inside the buns so they become nice and soft.
Homemade Burger Buns
Preparation Time: 2 hours
Danish title: Burgerboller
1 dl (½ cup) lukewarm water
1 dl (½ cup) naturel yoghurt
50 g (1.8 oz) yeast
60 g (2.1 oz) soft butter
40 g (1.4 oz) sugar
1.5 tsp salt
400 g (~1 lb) flour
1. Crumble the yeast into the lukewarm water.
2. Add yoghurt, soft butter, sugar and salt and mix it together.
3. dd the flour and knead the dough. Add a little more flour if the dough is too sticky.
5. Make dough pieces of 90 grams (3.2 oz), shape them to 'normal' buns and let them rest for 5 minutes.
6. Use your hand to flatten them so that they have a thickness of about 2 cm (~1 inch). During baking they will expand into normal burger bun sizes. Cover a baking tray with baking paper and put on the buns.
7. Use a small pastry brush to cover the buns with an egg/water mix and sprinkle the buns with sesame. The egg/water mix will add a nice light-brown color to the buns and make sure the sesame stays on the buns.
8. Cover the entire baking tray with a plastic bag/plastic foil and with a kitchen towel. Put the buns a nice and warm place for about an hour. This step is important to make sure the buns become soft and delicious. The plastic bag will keep the moist inside the buns and the kitchen towel will keep them warm during the resting period.
9. Bake the buns at 230 C (450 F) for about 10-12 minutes.
Tip: If you want your buns to have a nice and even layer of sesame you can use this trick. Pour out sesame on a plate. Cover the top of the buns with the egg/water mix. Gently put the buns on the plate and give them a light press. Put the buns back on the baking tray.