Rijsttafel is a Dutch word, which can be translated to ‘Rice table’. Indonesian Rijsttafel is basically boiled rice which is served with a lot of different side dishes. I love this concept because it is possible to make it the exact way you like. The only limit is your imagination.
Personally, I normal make some chicken curry sauce and prepare 5-7 side dished, typically only healthy stuff like vegetables, fruit, nuts and similar. Together with boiled rice (white or brown) this is a delicious dinner I bet both you and your family will love.
Read also: How to make a Danish Hotdog
This dish is easy to prepare which is why I use it on a regular basis. I have also served this dinner for guests with great success. I seems that people, and especially kids, find it funny to sit a table and put together their own dish from the many different choices. If you make sure to leave out all the greasy and fried stuff this can both be a very healthy and tasteful dinner.
In this recipe, I have made a Nordic-style chicken curry sauce, which I served with cubed apples, pineapples, red pepper, peanuts, raisins, banana, grated coconut and of course boiled rice.
- 500 g chicken fillet (cut in strips)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 2-3 tsp curry
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 dl milk
- Corn flour (for thickening)
- 1 tbsp Oil (for frying)
- Boiled rice
Ideas for delicious toppings:
- Banana (sliced)
- Apple (diced)
- Pineapples (diced)
- Tangerines (diced)
- Coconut (grated)
- Mango chutney
- Peber (diced)
- Bamboo shoots
- Bean sprouts
- Heat up a little oil or butter in a saucepan and add the curry paste. Stir well.
- Add the diced onions and fry until they are softened.
- Add the chicken strips and fry them till they are approximately 90% done.
- Add the coconut milk, milk and the chicken stock. Let is simmer for about 10-15 minutes (Use this time to prepare the side dishes).
- Use the corn flour to thicken the sauce as you like it and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.