Today, I would like to share another non-Nordic recipe. Even though, the origin for this recipe for minced beef pancakes are not any of the Nordic countries it is still quite normal and a popular dish in the Scandinavia.
This time, let us call this recipe Nordic inspired Chili beef pancakes.
See also: My best Nordic recipes
Actually, I am not sure where this dish was made the first time but a good guess would be in Mexico. I think it is the corn, chili and the cheddar cheese on top that turns my thoughts on Mexico. Nevertheless it does not mean anything where this dish is originally from, it is still one of my favorite.
There are two main reasons why I like these chili beef pancakes a lot;
Firstly, these pancakes are super delicious. This spiced beef with corn and tomatoes wrapped in a homemade pancake which it topped with cheddar cheese and baked in the oven it just super delicious.
Secondly, these pancakes are also very easy to make. There are only two main steps in this recipe. Making a chili tomato beef sauce and making a stack of pancakes.
From start to finish you should be able to make these pancakes in about 60 minutes which should be doable for a normal week day.
Adjust the recipe as you like
Another great thing about this dish is also that it is very flexible and can be adjusted to match your exact preferences in taste.
I personally prefer these pancakes very spicy and with corn. However, you can easily omit both chili and corn if you do not like these two ingredients.
Actually, I will suggest you to do some experimenting and come up with your exact favorite filling for these pancakes. The recipe I have listed below is just my personal favorite which has been developed over many trials.
Recipe for Nordic chili beef Pancake
In a sauce pan, you start by frying the diced onions and garlic in some hot oil. Add the beef and let it fry for about 3-5 minutes while stirring.
Add the rest of the ingredients and let the sauce simmer while you continue making the pancakes.
In a bowl add the ingredients for the pancakes. Use a hand mixer to mix all the ingredients into a nice pancake batter. On a hot frying pan, add a little butter and make large and thin pancakes.
Try also: How to make a danish hotdog
When the beef tomato sauce is ready, transfer a little sauce to the middle of a pancake. Firstly, fold two sides over the sauce. Then flip the pancake over and fold the other two sides creating a short of a hot pocket.
It is good idea to look at the pictures further down on this page.
Now transfer the folded pancakes to an oven plate lined with parchment paper. Place the pancakes side-by-side and cover them with cheddar cheese.
Bake the pancakes in the oven at 200 C (400 F) for about 10-15 minutes. This step is mainly only to melt the cheese and make it a little crisp.
- 250 g all-purpose flour (9 oz)
- 2 dl milk (1 cup)
- 3 dl water (1 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
Chili beef filling
- 2 onions finely diced
- 3 clove garlic finely chopped
- 500 g ground beef low fat (1 lb)
- 5 carrots
- 1 red chili
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can corn
Chili beef sauce
- In a large saucepan, fry the finely diced onions and garlic in some vegetable oil.
- Add the ground beef and fry it until all the meat is done.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and let it all simmer while you are preparing the pancakes.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients for the pancakes and use a hand mixer is mix all the ingredients into a nice pancake batter.
- On a hot frying pan, add a little butter or oil and add the right amount of pancake batter so that you get a large and thin pancake. The amount is of course depended on the size of the frying pan.
- When you have made a stack of pancakes then it is time to add some chili beef. Place about 1 dl (1/2 cup) of the chili beef sauce at the center of a pancake and close it by first flipping two sides over the sauce. Gently, flip the pancake over and fold the other two sides. Follow the pictures on www.NordicFoodLiving.com
- Now place the folded pancakes side-by-side in an oven proof pan.
- Add the grated cheese over the pancakes and bake them at 200 C (400 F) for about 10-15 minutes.
Write me a comment