Many people knows that broccoli is one of the most healthy vegetables you can eat. According to many researches, broccoli is a great source of fibers, vitamin D, vitamin K, calcium and Folate. The vegetable is also known to be able to lower the risk of cancer because of sulforaphane which is inside this great vegetable. It is simply a real super vegetable.
However, many of these good nutritions, which are inside this delicious vegetable, are lost due to the way many people are cooking broccoli. The problem, I have seen too many times, is that people are covering the broccoli with water and boiling it for a long time. There are actually two problems with this way of preparing broccoli. Number one is that some of the great nutrition are easily released from the vegetable and transported into the water which later are drained into the kitchen sink. The second reason for not preparing broccoli this way, is that you spend an extra great amount of energy, of heating up the water, compared to the method I have shown in the recipe just below.
So how should you cook broccoli? The right way of preparing broccoli is to steam it in very little water for only 2-4 minutes. The recipe for steamed broccoli is pretty simple; You start by rinsing the entire broccoli under cold water. Then you cut away the harder outlet layer at the stem of the broccoli. Cut the broccoli into smaller pieces the way you prefer them. In a pot add about 1 dl (1/2 cup) of water and pour in the broccoli. Add some salt, olive oil and maybe a little garlic. Turn on the heat at maximum power and steam the broccoli under a lid for about 4 minutes. The total working time is about 10 minutes including cleaning. It is that easy to prepare some of the most healthy side dishes in the world.
You can serve the steamed broccoli together with most meat. I will also recommend to try this steamed broccoli together with these danish pork meatballs. Enjoy.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
one bunch of broccoli
1 dl (1/2 cup) of water
a little olive oil
1. Rinse the entire broccoli under cold water
2. Cut away the hard outer layer of the stem. This layer contains long fibers which does not taste good.
3. Cut the broccoli into smaller pieces. If you don't like the stem, you can also cut away this part. However, I recommend to keep it.
4. In a pot, add about 1 dl (1/2 cup) of water
5. Place the broccoli in the pot
6. Add a little olive oil and some salt
7. Steam the broccoli under a lid for about 3-4 minutes. The color of the broccoli turns from a light green color into a beautiful dark green color when its done.
Serve the broccoli directly after together with a steak or some other meat.