This recipe for Danish Cold Potato Salad, or Kold Kartoffelsalat as we called it in Denmark, is a great summer side dish and is a most-have for a traditional Nordic barbecue party. Cold Potato Salad is a fantastic side dish for most types of meat especially sausages and pork made on a grill. It is very easy to prepare and it has a great and fresh taste which is perfect for a hot summer day. For me, this dish has some great memories attached to it. I always remember it from my childhood and that we almost always had it as a side dish in the summer time. I did grow up in a family where almost all dinners, during the summer period, were prepared on a grill in the garden - so of course we did eat a lot of Danish Cold Potato Salad.
Making a homemade Cold Potato Salad is super easy and you only need six different ingredients; sour cream, soured milk/Greek yogurt, bunch of chives, red onion, salt and of course potatoes. As mentioned above it is very easy to make a portion of this dish. You start by cooking the potatoes, with its peel on, in boiling water. While the potatoes are cooking, you continue making the dressing. In a large bowl, you add the sour cream, soured milk/Greek yogurt, salt and finely chopped chives. Remember to thoroughly wash the chives. Mix the ingredients for the dressing, set it aside while preparing the potatoes. When the potatoes are cooked - this normally takes about 10-15 minutes (the potatoes should be soft on the inside) - use a knife to gently remove the peel from the potatoes and then dice them up nicely. Add the diced potatoes to the dressing and gently mix everything around.
Serve the Cold Potato Salad with sliced tomatoes on the top.
Danish Potato Salad
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Danish title: Kold kartoffelsalat
Category: side dish
650 g (1.5 lb) small potatoes with peel
2 dl (1 cup) creme fraiche/sour cream
2 dl (1 cup) soured/acidified milk (or Greek yogurt)
bunch of chives (about 1 dl/1/2 cup), finely chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
1. In a large pot add some water and bring it to boil; cook the potatoes with the peel for about 10-15 minutes depending on the size of them. They should be nice and tender when done. The potatoes should be covered in water during this cooking process.
2. Use a knife; gently peel of the peel of the potatoes while they are still a little hot.
3. Dice the potatoes in smaller bite-size pieces.
4. In a bowl; add the cream fraiche/sour cream, Greek yogurt, finely chopped chives, finely chopped onions and salt. Mix all the ingredients into a nice dressing.
5. Add the prepared potatoes and gently mix them with the dressing.
6. Decorate the top of the bowl with chopped chives and tomatoes.
Tip: Keep in the fridge.