This cabbage, carrot and apple salad is one of my favorite all-year-around salads.
It is fantastic easy to make and it is a great side dish for many different dishes. I personally love to serve this cabbage salad with grilled chicken but it also goes great together with pork and beef meat.
See also: See my Nordic healthy recipes
Being very easy to make and tasteful is one of the best things about this salad. However, what I like the most about this salad is the homemade dressing. It is hard to explain - but these particular set of ingredients in this dressing, simply gives it a wonderful taste which goes perfectly together with the crisp and a little bitter pointed cabbage, the carrots and the apples.
Finally, this salad is sprinkled with coarsely chopped almonds which are fried on a dry frying pan with a handful of sesame seeds.
If you are a regular reader of my Nordic food blog you know that I am always looking for both healthy and simple dishes. I really enjoy making some delicious food during the week even though I am busy with work, training and friends.
In order to make all this work it has to be easy. Therefore, this salad is very high on my list. It is packed with great vitamins and fibers which naturally also makes it a filling dish.
Recipe for Cabbage Carrot Apple Salad
As mentioned several times, this salad is very easy to prepare. You start by removing any bad leaves from the pointed cabbage and then finely shred half of it. I normally take my time to do a good job with the shredding.
Also see: My section with other great Nordic recipes
Then you peel the carrots and coarsely grate them. Rinse the apples under cold water, remove the core and cut thin slices.
Now mix the prepared cabbage, carrots and apples in a large and nice salad bowl.
Coarsely chop the almonds and fry them together with the sesame seeds on a hot and dry frying pan. Sprinkle the fried almonds and seeds over the salad.
Finally, mix the ingredients for the dressing. Serve it together with the salad and let people use it as they like.
- 1/2 pointed cabbage finely shredded
- 2 carrots finely shredded/grated
- 1-2 apples
- 50 g almonds coarsely chopped
- 1/2 dl sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey or apple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp white wine vinegar or white balsamic
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Remove the outer leaves of the pointed cabbage and finely shred half of it.
- Peel the carrots and coarsely grate them.
- Rinse the apples in cold water, divide them and remove the apple core and finally dice them.
- Coarsely chop the almonds and fry them together with the sesame seeds for a couple of minutes on a hot and dry frying pan.
- In a small bowl, add the ingredients for the dressing and mix them with fork or similar whisking tool.
- Transfer all the prepared ingredients for the salad into a nice salad dish or bowl. Mix them gently. Finally pour the dressing over the salad right before serving it.
Great recipe! I altered my version by adding sprouted toasted sunflower seeds instead of almonds and sesame seeds. I noticed while in Copenhagen and Zurich last year that pumpkin and sunflower seeds are frequently used. I also added 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice and 1/4 of plain yogurt to the dressing. I use red cabbage instead of green - more colorful. I love the salads, slaws, and pickled veggies of the northern Europe region. Thanks for sharing your favorite recipes with all of us. Delicious !
I'm really happy that you like the cabbage recipe. I love the way that you have altered the recipe with your own preferences. I personally also love to change and adjust recipes so that they match my exact taste. Regards Kim (NordicFoodLiving.com)
I love how simple and delicious it is!
I'm happy that you like my recipe for cabbage carrot apple salad :-) Regards Kim (NordicFoodLiving.com)