Pasta is just great and can be used in endless dishes. The pre-made pasta you can buy at the grocery store can be great and are very easy when you are in a hurry. However, homemade pasta is just much more tasteful and delicious, and it is not even that difficult to make if you have your own pasta machine. Actually we are trying to cut down on pasta because the flour, which are the main ingredient, contains relatively many carbs.
But when we are having pasta we always make it from scratch – It is just much better than the one you buy. In this recipe for homemade pasta you only need two ingredients – eggs and flour – it is that simple! I believe you can make the pasta using a rolling pin, however I recommend that you buy a pasta machine to make it easier.
We found our pasta machine on sale for about 30$ which is just a simple and manual machine but you can also get advanced pasta machines with a small electric motor.
- 4 eggs
- 400 g all-purpose flour (14 oz)
- Pour the flour in a large bowl and make a small well in middle.
- Beat the eggs into the well in the flour.
- Use a fork to wipe the eggs and slowly moving outward to add the flour.
- When all the eggs are mixed with flour, kneads the dough so it becomes nice and smooth. The dough will be fairly stiff when you are done.
- Put the dough in a bag and close it. Place it in the fridge for about 30 minutes or longer. You can easily store it for the next day.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal sized pieces. Leave the 3 pieces in the bag and start with the fourth piece of dough.
- Use your pasta maker and start flattening out the dough - Start with the thickest setting, and stepwise move down to a thickness that you prefer for your pasta. I normally run the pasta dough two times on the same thickness setting. I you move to fast though the steps the dough will crack. If the dough starts to stick, dust the surface with some flour.
- Now you have a long piece of flat pasta dough. Cut it into rectangular lasagna noodles for a delicious homemade lasagna or use the pasta machine to cut it into spaghetti or Fettuccine.
- If you do not boil the pasta right after you made it, gently mix some flour into the pile of pasta so that it does not stick together.
- Boil the pasta (not the lasagna noodles) in salted water for about 3 minutes. Now you have some homemade and very delicious pasta. If you made lasagna noodles just use them as they are, the sauce from the lasagna will cook the noodles.