On this page I would like to share a fantastic recipe for homemade Focaccia bread. A Focaccia is an oven-baked type of bread which is very popular in most of the world which includes Denmark. This bread is originally from Italy and is used as a side-dish for many different meals. The bread has a consistency like a thick pizza dough and is typically served with a rosemary seasoning.
As mentioned just above, this Italian bread is perfect as a side for many meals. However, I personally think this bread has so much to offer that it is able to act as a standalone dish. I can highly recommend using this bread as a starter or pre-snacking before dinner.
I have mentioned this before on my blog. I am a member of a dinner club where I meet up with a group of my best friends two times a month to eat dinner together. We go by turn and cook dinner for the other guys. I know for a fact, that this Focaccia bread is a perfect welcome snack for your guests. Prepare this bread so that it is ready when your guests arrive. Put it on the table and let them snack it while you are preparing the rest of the dinner. I personally think this bread is a way better welcome snack compared to chips and nuts which is a very common snack. It is a perfect table snack.
The special about this Focaccia bread is that it is typically seasoned with different types of herbs, olive oil and sea salt. Besides these typical toppings it is also sometimes common to use different types of cheese or vegetables. I have not tried it myself yet, but I have seen it a couple of times that this bread is topped with olives – it looks real delicious and a beautiful way of decorating the bread.
I personally prefer a simple olive oil, garlic, sea salt and rosemary seasoning – as said, very simple, traditional and super delicious way of making this homemade Focaccia bread.
A Focaccia is very simple to make. It is basically just typical bread dough but the way it is baked and seasoned is what makes this bread special. In a large bowl, you start by dissolving the fresh yeast. If you are using dry year you simply just add this to the step with the flour. Now add the rest of the ingredients and knead everything into dough. Let it rise for 30 minutes while you are preparing the seasoning by mixing all the ingredients together.
Distribute the dough in a buttered oven pan and pick small holes/dents in the dough with your fingers. Pour the seasoning over the bread and let it rise for 30 minutes before baking it at 225 C (440 F) for about 15 minutes.
- 3 dl water lukewarm
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g durum flour
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic
- In a large bowl, dissolve the fresh yeast in the lukewarm water
- Add the rest of the ingredients and knead everything into smooth dough
- Set the dough aside and let it rise for 30 minutes
- While the dough is rising, prepare the rosemary and garlic topping. In a small bowl, add all the ingredients for the topping and mix it well together.
- In an buttered oven proof pan (25x30 cm), pour in the dough and distribute it in an even layer using your fingers and a little flour.
- Use your finger tips to pick small dents in the dough.
- Distribute the rosemary and garlic topping over the dough.
- Set it aside of rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake the focaccia bread at 225 C (440 F) for about 15 minutes. When done remove the bread from the oven pan and let it cool off a little before serving it.