Simpe and very delicious walnut bread. Serve it with a good slice of cheese and some homemade jam.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time2 hrs
Total Time2 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 25 g fresh yeast (1 oz)
- 4 dl water, lukewarm (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp malt flour (25 g / 1 oz)
- 375 g all-purpose flour (12 oz)
- 200 g whole grain wheat flour (7 oz)
- 150 g walnuts, coarsely chopped (5 1/3 oz)
- 7 g salt (1/4 oz)
In a large bowl; dissolve the fresh yeast in the lukewarm water. If you are using dry yeast, add this together with the flour.
Add the honey, the three types of flour and then stir/knead everything into a nice dough.
Add the chopped walnuts and the salt and knead everything into the dough. The kneading time is 5-10 minutes.
Leave the kneaded dough in the bowl, cover it with a dishtowel and set it aside some place warm. Let the dough rise for 60 minutes.
Divide the dough into six pieces and roll each pieces into long 'sausages'.
Take three sausages and connect them in one end. Braid them, and connect them at the other end. Continue the same way with the next three sausages.
Now you twist the two braided breads into one single bread. Fold the two ends under the bread.
Place the twisted bread on a parchment paper covered oven plate. Cover it with a clean dishtowel and let it rise for another 30 minutes some place warm.
Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F).
10. Spray a little cold water into the oven to create some water vapor. Now bake the bread for about 35 minutes. The bread is done when it sounds hollow when knocking at the bottom of it.