The recipe I have shared on this page is very delicious and quite easy to make. This is a recipe for fried chicken in a super delicious peanut butter sauce top with fresh slices of apples and chopped spring onions – allover a great dish, which according to my experience, is loved by most people and especially the younger crowd.
I have to confess something that most people probably think is totally crazy – for many years I could not eat peanut butter because I thought that the smell and taste was awful. Then I moved state side for a period of my life and now I love it. Today, this recipe is one of my favorite dinner recipes where peanut butter is used.
The consistency of the peanut butter sauce is just fantastic and it goes great together with the fried and sliced chicken breast. I always serve this peanut butter chicken with some white rice. However, recently I have been moving more and more away from the traditional white rice and changed to the more healthy alternative brown rice. Brown rice contains more dietary fiber and protein and therefore gives you a more filling feeling and you will let you feel full for longer. I can highly recommend using brown rice together with this peanut butter chicken.
As said above, this peanut butter and chicken dish is actually not that difficult to prepare. You start by cutting the chicken breast into strips and fry them in a saucepan in a little oil. Then add the peanut butter, some chopped chili, the red curry pasta, coconut milk, milk, chicken stock and the juice from half a lime fruit. Let it all simmer for about 5-10 minutes. I normally prefer the sauce as it is after this time. However, if you prefer a thicker sauce add some thickener to make it thicker. Finally, add some diced apples and chopped spring onions – let it all heat up for a bit and then serve this delicious dish together with some freshly cooked rice and some salted peanuts as the final topping.
Peanut Butter Chicken with Apples and Spring Onions
Amount: 2-3 people
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Danish title: Peanut butter kylling med æbler
350 g (12 oz) chicken filet (boneless)
1/2 red chili
3 spring onion (green onions)
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 can coconut milk (400 ml – 13.5 fl oz)
1 dl (1/2 cup) milk
2 tsp red curry pasta
1 cube chicken stock (about 10 g or 1/3 oz)
1/2 lime, the juice
On the Side:
1. Cut the chicken filet into smaller pieces, finely chop the chili, peel and dice the apples and chop the green onions.
2. In a saucepan; fry the chicken gently in a little oil.
3. Add the peanut butter and let it melt a little for about 1-2 minutes. Stir in it frequently.
4. Add the chopped chili and red curry pasta. Stir and mash it together with the peanut butter.
5. Add the coconut milk, the concentrated chicken stock, milk, and the juice from half a lime. Let it all simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
6. Make the sauce a little thicker using some thickener. Make the sauce as thick as you like – this it up to you own preferences.
7. Add the diced apples and the green onions. Simmer everything for another 5 minutes on low heat.
8. Finally, add the salt to taste and maybe a little more lime juice if you like.
Tip: Serve this peanut butter sauce together with some freshly prepared rice. Top the dish with some coarsely chopped salted peanuts.